1.26.2006

Silver Jews! Silver Jews! Silver Jews!

Seems to be that David Berman's gonna be doing a little speaking soon. The University of Pittsburgh has put out a press release announcing that the Man himself will be holding a reading on Weds, February 8th. How long is the drive from Ithaca to Pittsburgh?

With that in mind, Berman told Pitchfork that he charges $1000 for a reading. Anyone know how much discretionary funds the IC Writing and English department have on hand for speakers? Just a thought.

In more Silver Jews news, Pollstar has posted an article that contains a new interview with Berman.

Oh, and something I found while Google searching for SJ news. Paste Magazine has an interesting article up about the taping of a new music show on Turner South called Music Road, hosted by acoustic-pop troubadour Edwin McCain. Basically the concept is that McCain goes around the country to renowned music venues and hosts a taping of the local scene's best acts. The Athens, Ga show featured Vic Chestnutt, Elf Power, Drive-By Truckers, Phosphorescent, Don Chambers and GOAT, Liz Durrett, and members of Hope For A Golden Summer.

While I was reading the article, I couldn’t help but wonder whether a show like this could realistically be held in Ithaca. Logistically I’d say no, simply because we do not have any venues that cater to local music that have any kind of prestige outside of Ithaca. I suppose something could be held at the State Theater, but that’s not exactly a venue that showcases the local music scene, let alone traveling musicians who aren’t already big names. I suppose the argument could be made that there is enough of a local music scene here to warrant a spotlight, particularly if Donna The Buffalo, John Brown’s Body, and perhaps Johnny Dowd topped a bill of other local acts.

I don’t know though, I know there is a local Ithaca music scene, but I can’t say I’ve ever really been too taken by it. I will freely admit that I haven’t been the most pro-active in engaging with the local music scene in Ithaca, but at the same time, of the above listed acts, only Johnny Dowd has piqued my interest to any real extent. This might just be a case of not giving something a fair listen, though my gut tells me that's not the case and the Ithaca music scene just ain't for me.

Of course, I would never claim to be the prototypical music fan.

- Glitter

No comments: